The Lost Traveler

Sunday, January 8, 2017

You Can Never Be Sad When You're Outside

Bloomer Park, MI

Sixteen degree weather is no excuse not to get outside and explore.  Our bodies are designed to adapt to the weather.  I mean, look at the people who scale Everest!  Hiking is addictive.  It doesn't matter what the weather is like, exploring trails, new or well known, is peaceful and relaxing.
I think I have discovered exactly why it is addicting to be in nature: You can't be sad when your outside.  It is literally impossible.  The serene trails serve as the perfect place to "recharge your batteries" after a long week, or during a stressful time.
This time of the year is very difficult for many, especially those who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, a condition where people may feel sad or depressed during the winter.  I used to be of the mindset that the winter months were a time to go running on a  treadmill, or sign up for spinning classes.  While those are two legitimate, viable options, you need vitamin D.  You need exposure to sunlight.
The best thing I have done for myself so far this winter is getting outside my comfort zone.  I went to my local North Face and REI stores, learned how to dress myself for extreme conditions, learned what supplies I would need, then I went outside and I did it.  So far, it's been the best decision I have made in a long time.  I have met new people, and explored new parks.  Nothing but good has come of my travels and adventures.
Pictures are my best argument.  You cannot see temperature, you see beauty.
If you are looking for some relief from the short, winter days, I recommend getting outside.  It doesn't have to be a five mile hike, it could be a twenty minute walk.  Just get outside, you won't regret it.

Photo from a hike at Cranbrook.  About 16 degrees.  Absolutely beautiful.  


Another photo from Cranbrook.  Photo taken the same day as the photo above.  When you take in the beauty and forget about the elements, you are able to see exactly what you are missing out on by staying inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment