The Lost Traveler

Thursday, January 5, 2017

I may wander, but I am not lost


 This is one of the first pictures I took atop Volcano Agua, one of the many volcanos in Guatemala. It was breathtaking, to say the least. I experienced the pleasure of hiking up an active volcano, Volcano Picaya, while I was in Guatemala. Living in Michigan, I have traveled to Canada many times. I have also been been on a family vacation to Mexico. This was my first trip, though, to Central America. This was also my first major international trip. My best friend and I went to Guatemala, Belize, and Mexico in search of a unique adventure and some quality time. Those who are familiar with international travel will know that Americans are seldom found in Central America.
 It is a stereotypical trait that we (Americans) tend to flock to beaches and resorts, well within our comfort zone. In resorts, we know we are going to be well taken care of. We will be safe and comfortable. Everyday will be predictable. Normally, I enjoy predictable vacations. Vacations that have been well calculated and well planned, with every detail written out. I enjoy knowing every detail of every move I am about to make, because I won't accept anything less than an amazing, perfect, vacation in which nothing goes wrong. When I arrived in Guatemala, Caroline (my best friend) and I met up with out tour group as soon as we got to Antigua. I was very nervous and unsure of what was about to happen. I was definitely outside my comfort zone. Our group was extremely small, much smaller than the average tour group. I met a guy from Australia, and guy from England, and a girl from Germany. Everyone seemed very friendly, but I was still nervous. My mind was racing with the unknown. "What if I get the Zika virus? Will the food be any good? What if I get sick? What if my sunglasses break?" I better pack two pair of sunglasses. I knew broad details of our trip, but there were many optional activities, so I didn't have a great idea of what I was getting myself in to. One night, we were eating dinner on the river, Rio Dulce, Guatemala to be exact. Conversation got deep. I confessed to being a competitive person. One of my biggest weaknesses is constantly comparing myself to others. "My brother graduated with a 4.0 GPA. I only got a 3.94 GPA. Someone at work is catching on to things quicker than me, am I stupid?" I admitted to these internal thoughts. I admitted to being a calculated person who likes to overthink. The guy from England chimes in. "Life is too short," he says. "Don't compare yourself to others." Enjoy living in the moment, don't overthink things. Look at the unknown as an adventure, as opposed to allowing the unknown to fill you with anxiety. Then he said, "When you overthink you say to yourself things like, 'what if my sunglasses break? I better bring two!'" That is when it dawned on me, I needed to listen to his advice and take it. The rest of the trip was amazing. I didn't get sick (not that I cared), the food was amazing, and Caroline and I spent a lot of quality time together. So here's enjoying a worry free, amazing, adventurous, outside-of-the-comfort-zone 2017!
 This is me, standing below one of the many Mayan Ruins. It was an amazing experience. In Belize, I got to go snorkeling with nurse sharks, among many other animals. It was pretty amazing.
 Tumum, Mexico. More Mayan Ruins!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this story MB! Life is an adventure to be taken in! Good for you! Look forward to following your Blog!

    ReplyDelete