The Lost Traveler

Friday, January 6, 2017

Nature: The Best Gift You Were Never Given


I believe that everything happens for a reason.  It has taken me a long time to buy into that mentality. Christmas had come and passed in the blink of an eye.  I got everything I wanted, which consisted of camping gear, camping gear, and more camping gear.  I was excited, but anxious at the same time.  I only have a few friends who appreciate the outdoors the way I do. So I wasn't sure how many camping buddies I would have.
 My co worker and I decided to start off 2017 right by going on a New Year's Day hike.  It was originally supposed to be a snowshoe hike, but as you can see from my pictures, the snow melted.  Before the hike, my friend invited a few of her neighbors to come along.  They seemed nice and we got along well.  As I got to know them, I learned that they loved camping, hiking, and anything outdoors.  I was elated!  It is tough meeting new people now and days. To make matters worse, everyone seems to be noncommittal.  People make plans, then bail.  Or, they refuse to make plans at all unless they are in their comfort zone (there's that damn phrase again).  We hiked for hours, ate dinner, exchanged numbers, and now we have plans to go hiking Sunday.  What a blessing.  That New Year's Day hike ended up being an amazing experience.  The weather was perfect.  There was not a cloud in the sky, and it was about 38 degrees. I actually got hot.  I wish I would have started hiking, camping, and being an overall outdoors kind of a person at a younger age.  Every hike is so peaceful.  You have no idea where you are going half the time, but you know whatever lays ahead is going to bring peace and serenity.  It's cheaper than therapy, and arguably more effective.   And it is right in front you. Nature is all around you.  Funny how sometimes the best solution to your most complicated problems is right in front of you.  It has always been there, you just had to go looking for it. As a nurse, you get used to working holidays, especially New Year's.  This is the first year I can recall having an extremely peaceful start to the new year.  I made new friends, and I am looking forward to all the new adventures ahead.



I hiked at Island Lake State Park in Brighton, MI.  Absolutely beautiful day.  The weather could not have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment